DIY: Embellished Sweatshirt
I haven't done a DIY post in AGES, so I'm going double duty today and sharing a fun little DIY project I did and how I wore it! Working at LOFT is like being tortured on a regular basis. I'm surrounded by beautiful clothes with little to no money to spend on it! I've been so inspired by the new holiday pieces in the store, especially the embellished tops.
In order to save some money up for the holidays, I decided to recreate one of these embellished looks for a fraction of the price. I decided to go for the sweatshirt route, similar to the first picture above, because I like how it juxtaposes casual and fancy so I can dress it up or down.
Here's What You'll Need:
- A plain sweatshirt (I bought mine on clearance at Target AND used my Target RedCard, making it around $16)
- A needle and thread to match
- Embellishments like pearls and beads
- A pair of scissors
- A ruler
- A lot of patience and time
This isn't a particularly difficult DIY at all, but you do need to have some patience and a little bit of a plan before you begin. Once you figure out how you want to place your embellishments, you can work on it while watching TV or hanging out with friends.
- Gather your materials and make a plan for what you want your embellishments to look like and where they will be placed on your sweatshirt. I decided on a three bead cluster spaced apart in rows of two and three. Be sure to consider how many rows you'll have before you start. You'll notice I also started with a sweatshirt with lace; naturally, I had to cut out this front panel before I began.
- Start sewing! Sew on your beads with your needle and thread. It is really important that you sew each individual bead on at least twice, if not more, to secure it in place. I sewed my beads on with one stitch initially and they were already getting loose. Cut and tie off your stitches after each cluster instead of threading all of the way to your next cluster.
- Try to be accurate with where you place your next cluster using a ruler.
- Sew any remaining beads on the collar, sleeve, wrist, wherever your heart desires! I sewed some on the collar for a little extra embellishment.
- Style away!
I had a lot of fun making this sweatshirt and am really happy with the outcome. It really sparkles in the light. When I wore it to work the next day, my colleagues thought it was the one from the store (#1 above) and were amazed to find out I had made it.
Here's how I styled it:
Sweatshirt: DIY by me (original from Target, inspired by LOFT) Oxford: Land's End Pants: NY & Co. Earrings: NY & Co. Watch: NY & Co. Flats: Payless
I decided to try something other than jeans and went with my FAVORITE pair of "faux dress pants" from NY & Co. It is a pretty classic look overall, but the embellished sweatshirt makes it a little more modern and updated. I really liked pairing the sweatshirt with a crisp oxford to once again reinforce the casual/fancy juxtaposition. I know, I sound pretentious, but I'm an English nerd, okay?
I hope everyone has a fantastic Wednesday! I wanna know: How would YOU style an embellished sweatshirt?
Linking up to: The Pleated Poppy's WIWW, Rolled up Pretty's Whatever Whenever Wednesday, Get Your Pretty On, Transatlantic's WIWW, Because Shanna Said So's Random Wednesdays, My Fash Avenue's Style Blogger Link Up,The DIY Dreamer's From Dream to Reality, Sew Much Ado's We Did it Wednesday
*This post contains affiliate links. For each click you make, I may earn a few cents at no cost to you. Thank you for your continued support!*